Holidays in the Fall? 8 great ideas to choose Tuscany
Summer is already a memory and now it’s time to think about your next holidays in fall. Well, I would suggest thinking about a travel in Tuscany. Tuscany is a beautiful and fascinating land all year round, not only under the summer sun, and the autumn has one’s own motivations.
Today I would like to share with you my personal reasons to choose Tuscany for your upcoming holidays in fall.
8 Good reasons to spend your holidays in fall in Tuscany.
1. Do you like wine? Visit the renowned “Chianti shire”, the coastal area of Bolgheri, Scansano in Maremma famous for its Morellino or the northern Colli di Luni for the best Vermentino white wine of the region. The harvest is just over and the release of the particular “Vino Novello” is coming. You can enjoy your holidays in fall with many local festivals (Sagre) to celebrate the event.
Two glasses of red tuscan wine
2. Do you like nature? Even Tuscany has its magical places where you can admire the fall foliage. The yellow, the orange, the red and the brown of the falling leaves give forests a special light. It’s amazing being surrounded by the silence and the only sound you hear is the creaking of the dry foliage while you step on it. Casentino area in southern Tuscany, the mountains of the Tosco-Emiliano Apennines (Abetone is the most known place and is also a ski resort), the chestnut tree forests of Castagneto Carducci or of the Monte Amiata are the best places to take tons of pics.
The yellow colour of leaves
4. Do you like history? What about visiting Lunigiana in northern Tuscany for an historic gastronomical tour? Borderland between Tuscany and Liguria, it’s a land rich of history and definitely an off the beaten path of Tuscany. You can drive your car visiting some fascinating medieval castles as Fosdinovo, Bagnone or Fivizzano, and taste delicious and high quality food. Ask for honey, testaroli, panigacci or necci made with chestnut flour.
The hamlet of Bagnone and its castle
5. Do you like the sea? People saying that out of the season the sea and beaches are depressing is completely wrong. Maybe it’s because I was born in a seaside resort on the Etruscan coast, but I find the desert beaches in fall and winter, the ideal place for a walk out of the crowd, relaxing, breathing the salty air and listening to the sound of the sea. On a sunny day, it’s so pleasant to fall asleep being heated by a lukewarm sun. There are more than 400 km (250 miles) of coast from Versilia to the Argentario. Autumn and winter are then, the only seasons where you can reach the wild beach of Cala di Forno walking into the Natural Park of Uccellina.
Autumn sunset in Versilia coast
6. Do you like museums? I suggest you to visit, beyond the classic Galleria dell’Accademia and Uffizi in Florence, one of the temporary exhibits at Palazzo Blu in Pisa, or the Leonardo da Vinci Museum in Vinci to admire one the biggest and original collection dedicated to the Renaissance Man. While, if you wish to be catapulted in the fantastic world of Pinocchio during your holidays in fall, visit the theme park dedicated to the wooden puppet in the village of Collodi.
The Museo Leonardiano in Vinci – Photo Credits: Ufficio Turistico Intercomunale – Vinci
7. Do you like food? Truffles, chestnuts, mushrooms, olive oil and wine are the absolutely protagonists of your Tuscan holidays in fall. Festivals and local Sagre spring up almost in every village of Tuscany. You only have to choose your favourite to try.
8. Do you like to relax and hot springs? From the Lunigiana till the Crete Senesi, a long list of SPA and hot springs is waiting for you during your holidays in fall: Equi Terme in Fivizzano, Montecatini and Monsummano Terme, Saturnia in Maremma, Bagno Vignoni or San Casciano dei Bagni in Val d’Orcia. Here is the list of the wild free hot springs of Tuscany. Moreover, if you like something different, you definitely have to stop in Castagneto Carducci for a thalassotherapy itinerary plunged into heated salty seawater.