Lucca Comics and Games
If you are visiting Lucca the last days of October and you are suddenly surrounded by a crowd dressed like a character of famous cartoons as Simpson, Ninja Turtles, Pokémon, or of TVs Series as Star Wars, X-Men, Spider Man or Batman, don’t be scared, you are in the middle of Lucca Comics and Games.
Lucca Comics and Games, held every end of October, is the largest international festival of comic, animation, illustration and games in Europe and the world second biggest behind the Comiket of Tokyo.
Piazza San Michele with cosplayers – Photo Credits: Mr Tiger
The International Congress of Comics was born in 1965 in Bordighera (Liguria region). In 1966 it moved in the city of Lucca and year-by-year it grew of relevance and attendees, till the 240,000 attendees of 2014. The International Congress changed name on 1996 becoming Lucca Comics and Games.
Lucca Comics and Games 2015
The poster of the 2015 edition of Lucca Comics and Games – Photo Credits: Lucca Comics and Games
This year, the festival is open from Thursday 29 October till the 1 November. The Theme of this edition, “…Si, Viaggiare!” (…Yes, Travel) is dedicated to all those impossible trips that only the imagination can make come true.
Lucca Comics is held in a really suggestive location: the downtown surrounded by the fortified walls that in the past defended the centre from the invaders.
Instead, during the four days of Lucca Comics, the invaders are a pacific crowd of thousand cosplayers, people that wear costumes and accessories of their favourite character of cartoons, manga, TV, video games and comic books.
Inside and outside the walls, all around the city, there are many thematic pavilions to visit:
- Game pavilions to play role-playing games.
- Temporary shops where buying your favourite comic book or game.
- Exhibitions of international artists and illustrators of comic books, fantasy writers as Karl Kopinski (the author of the poster of Lucca Comics 2015) Richard McGuire, Jonathan Maberry, the Irish Herbie Brennan and Stan Sakai.
- Disney world and Children pavilions.
- Japan Town for Manga lovers.
- The pavilion dedicated to the video game “Assassins Creed”.
- “The Walking Dead” pavilion for lovers of the zombies of the famous TV Series.
- A special section dedicated to the Star Wars Saga. This year, with the upcoming release of the new chapter of the saga, in Lucca Comics is expected an invasion of Star Wars Cosplayers.
Lucca Comics is not only a festival for experts. Even if you are not into the comic world, spend a day walking around and staring at the cool cosplayers is really funny and enjoyable. Or seeing one of the exhibitions of sketches can be interesting. And if you are a beginner of role-playing games, this is the best place where to start and learn.
Comic Books Shop in Lucca Comics
Finally, the 31 October, if you haven’t enough of masks, costumes and zombies and wish to celebrate the Halloween in Tuscany, you can reach the village of Borgo a Mozzano with its sinister Devil’s Bridge, where a big horror festival is held and many dark scary figures are waiting for you.