The F-Light Florence Light Festival
These days, in occasion of the F-Light Florence Light Festival, special and new lights brighten Florence downtown. Christmas lights illuminate the streets and a big tree decorates the Piazza Duomo. Moreover If you are lucky to be in the capital of Tuscany during this period, you have the opportunity to admire the main attractions of the city under a different light.
Since 2011, in December, light games and projections colour the facades of the historical buildings, giving them a special and amazing aspect.
The Fountain of Neptun in blue – Photo credits: Mauro Sani
The program of F-light Florence Light Festival
F-light is a wordplay. The letter “F” (for Florence but also for festival) and the word “light”, create the new word “F-light”. From the 8 December for a month, the Light Festival invites Florentines and tourists to take a tour with the light, an imaginary flight over the city, closer to the starry vault.
The Florence Light Festival starts every year the 8 December, when the Mayor turns on the lights of the huge Christmas tree in the Duomo Square.
This great Light festival celebrates the light as a universal power source. Events and workshops are promoted by the Florence municipality and organized by the MUS.E association. They describe the life on earth, the source of life, the four elements, the human history, the art and the time, through the light and the imagination.
A bright itinerary will guide you across the city: from the Duomo to the Oltrarno, passing from the main squares of the historical center (UNESCO World heritage site since 1982) as Piazza Duomo, the Loggia del Porcellino, Palazzo Vecchio, Piazza Santa Croce. You will cross the Arno River through the Ponte Vecchio to reach Piazza Pitti and San Spirito.
Light games, video mapping and projections, artistic light installations, guided tours and workshops for adults and children, are the attractions of F-lights Firenze Light Festival.
The Porta Romana gate – Photo credits: Mauro Sani
Light Festival games and shows
Here, a list of the many light games and shows scattered all over the city centre:
- A special system of lights illuminate the facade of the Basilica of Santa Croce showing the stones and marbles in different tonality.
- The Sala d’Arme of Palazzo Vecchio hosts projections of pictures of local photographers dedicated to the light .
- The Loggia del Porcellino is decorated with digital animations on the ground.
- Ponte Vecchio is like a white canvas where light projections reveal the history of the human creativity. They switch between the Homo Sapiens, the ancient Greeks and Romans, the genius of Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo and the contemporary art.
- Over the facade of Lungarno Acciaiuoli a documentary of the flood of 1966 will be displayed.
- A powerful ray of light coming from the Piazzale Michelangelo lights the facade of the National Library in memory of the flood of 1966.
- The facade of the Basilica of Santo Spirito is the screen of 3D videos dedicated to the theme of the river.
- Other light projections decorate the facade of the La Rinascente building of Piazza della Repubblica, the San Niccolò Tower, the Torre della Zecca, Porta Romana, the fountain of Neptune, and the Loggia dei Lanzi.
Ponte Vecchio with Klimt Paintings – Photo credits: Ilaria Persello
Moreover, from 21 December another great light show takes place at the Forte Belvedere. A huge, endless ray of light will rise up in the sky as symbol of the life tree, of an elevator connecting earth and sky or more simply a Christmas tree hundreds meters tall.
Last year I was not lucky with F-light cause we found Florence under a thick fog that almost covered all lights games. So, planning to visit the city shortly for a little walk and do some Christmas shopping, I will definitely try again this year to admire with my eyes this spectacular projections of the light festival.