Lucca Comics and Games
If you are visiting Lucca the last days of October and you are suddenly surrounded by a crowd dressed like a character of famous cartoons as Simpson, Ninja Turtles, Pokémon, or of TVs Series as Star Wars, X-Men, Spider Man or Batman, don’t be scared, you are in the middle of Lucca Comics and Games.
Lucca Comics and Games takes place every end of October and is the largest international festival comics, animations, illustrations, and games in Europe and the world second biggest behind the Comiket of Tokyo.
Piazza San Michele with cosplayers – Photo Credits: Mr Tiger
The International Congress of Comics was born in 1965 in Bordighera (Liguria region). In 1966 it moved in the city of Lucca and year-by-year it grew of relevance and attendees, till the 240,000 attendees of 2014. The International Congress changed name on 1996 becoming Lucca Comics and Games.
Lucca Comics and Games 2017
The poster of the 2017 edition of Lucca Comics and Games – Photo Credits: Lucca Comics and Games
This year, the festival is open from Wednesday 1st until Sunday 5th November. The Theme of this edition, “Insieme possiamo essere Eroi…anche solo per 5 giorni” (Together we can be heroes…even just for five days) is dedicated to the heroes of the comics and games, of the fantasy novels, of the TV series and movies, but especially to the real heroes that come to Lucca every year making the biggest European community event possible.
Lucca Comics is held in a really suggestive location: the downtown surrounded by the fortified walls that in the past defended the centre from the invaders.
Instead, during the four days of Lucca Comics, the invaders are a pacific crowd of thousand cosplayers, people that wear costumes and accessories of their favourite character of cartoons, manga, TV, video games and comic books.
Inside and outside the walls, all around the city, there are many thematic pavilions to visit:
- Game pavilions to play role-playing games.
- Temporary shops where buying your favourite comic book or game.
- Exhibitions of international artists and illustrators of comic books, fantasy writers the likes as Robert Kirkman (the author of the famous The Walking Dead series), Micheal Whelan (the author of the poster of Lucca Comics 2017), the cartoonist Raina Telgemeier, the writer Timothy Zahn (author of Terminator Salvation and one of the main writers of the Star Wars Saga), Igort, Jason Aaron (writer of Marvel Novels as Wolverine, Black Panther and Ghost Rider)
- Children pavilions.
- Japan Town for Manga lovers.
- The pavilion dedicated to the video games made by Activision in the Piazza Santa Maria
Lucca Comics is not only a festival for experts. Even if you are not into the comic world, spend a day walking around and staring at the cool cosplayers is really funny and enjoyable. Or seeing one of the exhibitions of sketches can be interesting. And if you are a beginner of role-playing games, this is the best place where to start and learn.
Comic Books Shop in Lucca Comics
Finally, the 31 October, if you haven’t enough of masks, costumes and zombies and wish to celebrate the Halloween in Tuscany, you can reach the village of Borgo a Mozzano with its sinister Devil’s Bridge, where a big horror festival is held and many dark scary figures are waiting for you.
For more info and tickets, visit the official website of Lucca Comics and Games (in Italian only).